Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija News today, Tuesday, 16th August 2022, can be accessed below.
Jameela News has compiled top Naija news headlines from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top newspaper headlines, and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page.
Below are the Newspaper headlines today & Naija news today from the Nigerian Newspaper today.
1. The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is scheduled to meet with Federal Government representatives on Tuesday over its prolonged strike. President of ASUU, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke, disclosed this on Monday while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today.
2. The Deputy President of Kenya, William Ruto, has been declared the winner of the country’s close-fought presidential election. Chairman of the country’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission, Wafula Chebukati, made the declaration on Monday.
3. Many terrorists have been reportedly killed, while several others were injured when the police repelled an attack on Dadawa and Barkiya villages in Kurfi Local Government Area of Katsina State. The Police Public Relations Officer in the State, SP Gambo Isah, who disclosed this in a statement, said the well-armed terrorists, no fewer than 80 in number, stormed the two communities riding on motorbikes at about 01:30 am Monday morning.
4. The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Iyorchia Ayu, said contrary to stories in some sections of the media, he has not resigned. PDP National Chairman, in a statement by his Special Adviser (Media & Communication), Simon Imobo-Tswam, Monday, described the story as false, baseless, reckless, inaccurate, and a complete work of fiction.
5. Gunmen have invaded Orie Market at Agbedo community, Apayan, in Igalamela/Odolu Local Area of Kogi State, killed one person and abducted many others. The suspected bandits, who attacked the market in large numbers on Sunday, August, 14th, 2022 at 2 pm, reportedly started shooting sporadically to scare the people in the market.
6. The spokesman of the Northern Elders Forum, NEF, Hakeem Baba Ahmed, has distanced himself from selling the Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to Northerners. He spoke while replying to a social media user who accused him of selling Obi to the Northerners.
7. Veteran journalist, Dele Momodu, has weighed into the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, saying Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State will not dump the main opposition party. Momodu, who spoke on a Channels TV programme on Monday, believes Wike will not abandon the party because he is a principled politician.
8. Officers of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) weekend killed many terrorists during airstrikes in Niger and Kaduna States. NAF spokesman, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, disclosed this to reporters in Abuja Sunday.
9. A Federal High Court in Abuja has sentenced a kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, also known as Wadume, and two others, to seven years imprisonment. Justice Binta Nyako convicted Wadume of two of the 13-count charges against him and two others.
10. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested 120 citizens for alleged illegal oil theft. The anti-graft agency carried out the joint operation with personnel of the 6 Division Garrison, Nigerian Army in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
That’s today’s summary of Newspaper headlines from Naija News media. Read more Nigerian news, African news, and world news on Jameela News. See you again tomorrow.